Explain the application of storage batteries.
Storage batteries are used for various purposes, some of the applications are mentioned below:
- For the operation of protective devices and for emergency lighting at generating stations and substations.
- For starting, ignition and lighting of automobiles, aircrafts etc.
- For lighting on steam and diesel railways trains.
- As a supply power source in telephone exchange, laboratories and broad casting stations.
- For emergency lighting at hospitals, banks, rural areas where electricity supplies are not possible.